Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Grapefruit

When you live with someone, it's easy to find faults in them. Sometimes a little too easy. I recently read this really great article about that very topic. The Article is; The Grapefruit Syndrome, by Lola B. Walters.
It is about a wife who reads somewhere that couples should have regular talks and discuss things about the other person they find annoying so that they can work on fixing the "problem". The Husband goes with it and they sit down, She goes on to tell him that she can't stand the way he eats grapefruit. He, of course, tells her he doesn't have anything to complain about.
As I read this article I found myself agreeing with the concept of having a discussion similar to this.
"It might be good to get these things out in the open" I thought "I know there are things I do that annoy him. and I'm sure I could come up with 1 or 2 things"
But then I read on. She says towards the end "Husbands and wives need to keep in perspective, and usually ignore, the small differences in their habits and personalities."
Ah-Ha!! So True!!
So. Although there are things that you do that annoy your spouse, friend, partner, or who ever it is that you live with. And there are things that they do to annoy you. Who cares! Get over it. Ignore it, or learn to love it.
One thing that I know I do, that I have no control over because it happens to everyone, is my hair. It gets all over everything!! It's in the wash, it clogs the drain and vacuum. It's in the socks, the towels, shirts....you name it. My hair is super thick, and getting long, so as I go through the day it gets left everywhere. Long strands of chocolate brown hair left where ever I have been.  I find it super annoying to find hair everywhere, but my sweet husband has learned to accept it, and love it. He always says that if anything were to happen to me he would have to move, because finding my hair all over the place would be to much!
Lets try and keep things in perspective, because lets face it. You chose this person for a reason, and they chose you. Remember that reason and Love all those crazy little things that drive you nuts. At least you have someone to make you crazy! =)

No comments: