Sunday, March 15, 2009

A little something on service

Wednesday night I had my P.F.R. meeting for church (Personal Facility Rep aka Building Cleaning coordinating). I was the only female there and the youngest by at least 10-15 years. It seemed that everyone there had something to say about the lack of support they get in trying to get people to help clean the church and then because of that, it takes them forever to get the building clean. While I have some people that aren't exactly subtle in coming up with excuses as to why they can't help. Most of our members are willing to help out. And if, for some reason they can't, they're pretty good about asking to be called next time. I got caught up in the negativity and procrastinated calling people till Friday...and we clean Saturday morning. Well I finally screwed up my courage got out my rotation list and started calling. I'm leaving messages and letting people know that we have the 14th, 21st, and 28th. I did get a hold of some people and while they were hesitant, they agreed to a week and in an hour I had several people assigned to a week. But still not enough for Saturday (the 14th) I decided to wait and see if people would call back from messages I left on answering machines. and sure enough, by then end of the day I had 3 families, which would ensure me at least 6 adults and possible 2-3 kids old enough to help out.
Saturday morning Greg gets everything set up, I drop the kids off at Becky's and head over to the church. We finish getting everything ready and wait for people to come. We tell people to be there by 815am. We have to start that early because a lot of times the missionaries will be doing a baptism at 10 so we like to be done before then. About 830 people start showing up and I get them a job to do and we get to it. That was one of the best group of workers we had! No one complained and when they finished one job, they came and asked if there was anything else to do! Even the primary aged kids would come ask for another job! We finished cleaning by 930!
It just amazed me how with a little effort, a job that, let's face it, nobody likes doing, can be done so quickly. I felt so blessed to have a ward family that will come and support us in our calling! So Thanks everyone for being so supportive. Even at 815 on a Saturday morning!

No comments: